We are in the middle of the huge reset this week, so lots of infrastructural work and not a ton of sewing going on:
- This is the big week to reset and tart up the workroom – all of the five rooms are getting repainted – walls, floors, ceilings, everything
- Setting up a small studio area in the front of the tertiary classroom for student pictures, short videos, &c.
- Start final push for the month to get the spaces all client/work/and student ready for the Fall 2018 quarter.
- Also, with all of the painting and everything being white, it is time to retire the white blinds and make some fresh ones.
- We’ve got a lot for you guys coming up in the classes blog including Ankit’s jacket, Linda Prieto’s new vintage fabric reproduction line, some vintage stuff from the archives, and a couple of class reminders for the Fall sewing classes.
- The main upper section of the entrance stairwell is finished with regard to painting, so we’ll let the paint set for a week before we start the gilding and leafing process. The gold lasts longer and gives a more durable finish if you don’t rush it.
- We’ve been working on a project restoring a small set of early 20th century offices in the neighborhood, but have to wait until we can either recreate the moldings or find appropriate replacements.
- We’ll be working on the farm towards the last week of August, taking this past quarter’s compost collection of paper and fabric scraps and doing some clean-sweep stuff for the Fall-Winter season.
- As part of crop research, we are looking into and researching the feasibility of growing flax for linen in zone 7 – it isn’t a crop you see much anymore, but having inherited all of the tools and supplies to process it, we may very well be planting acreage over the next few seasons.
- We’ve got a couple of prototype projects to finish before we move on to other stuff for the week
- A small set of Indian adaptions coming down the pipeline for modern clothing with a traditional feel
- Ongoing millions of custom dress shirts
- Nathan Perez has his upcoming Basics of Tambour class coming up this Sunday, so we are making the preparations for that and getting things ready.
- Two residual wedding dress projects go into overdrive this week as they finish draping, final beading, and finishing them for the due date in late August.
So, we’re busy as usually juggling millions of things; let’s see how this week goes!